MRI Cooling Systems
Are you in need of an MRI Chiller or MRI Cooling System? Cold Shot Chillers® has got you covered! Since 1970, we have designed and manufactured high-reliability chillers for medical imaging applications such as MRIs, linear accelerators, and PET scanners.
The Need for Efficient MRI Cooling
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machines use powerful magnetic fields to create images of internal organs such as bones, teeth, cartilage, and muscles. Healthcare professionals use these images to accurately diagnose medical conditions and disorders allowing them to recommend the best treatment options. Medical facilities with MRI machines perform several thousand scans per year.
An MRI scan consumes a large amount of energy and generates considerable heat in its internal components. The temperature of the machine must be kept within specified limits to prevent overheating which can lead to malfunction.
The ideal temperature for an MRI scanner is about -270 °C or -450 °F (a cryogenic temperature). Ambient cooling from an HVAC system installed at the facility is not able to provide this close tolerance temperature for the machine. MRI Chillers & Cooling Systems can reduce the excess heat generated within the machine during a scan.
What is an MRI Chiller?
MRI chillers are devices that provide cooling for MRI machines. Some may include built-in self-diagnostic capabilities, as well as integration with preventive maintenance applications. Perhaps most importantly, they can be built to revert to a backup cooling system in the event of a mechanical or electrical failure. This ensures that your MRI machine remains cooled in the event of an emergency.
Chillers built for MRI machines typically need to hold very close temperature tolerances with a very wide heat load variation. The cooling fluid pressures are also high relative to other medical equipment cooling applications. How do MRI chillers work to meet these system requirements?
How Cold Shot Chillers® MRI Chillers Work
MRI Chillers & Cooling Systems help to cool the internal components of medical imaging equipment that can generate a significant amount of heat during use. These machines contain a device known as a “cold head,” that condenses helium back into its liquid form after cooling the MRI magnet – the component responsible for producing the powerful magnetic fields for resonance imaging.
MRI machine chillers from Cold Shot Chillers® provide close temperature tolerance with automatic city water switchover to ensure maximum uptime in the event of an unexpected failure. They come fitted with air compressors and refrigerated air dryers for optimum efficiency.
MRI Cooling Specs
Modern medical imaging equipment requires higher than normal pressures and temperature tolerances with extremely wide heat load variations to function efficiently. Since the primary chilling substance in our MRI chillers is eco-friendly refrigerants, they offer greater corrosion resistance than water-based chillers.
The main challenge with medical equipment such as MRIs, CT scanners, and PET scanners is that their operation is energy-intensive, with intermittent loads that cause internal components to heat up rapidly. The ideal MRI cooling system must react in time to stabilize internal temperatures at precise levels. Our MRI chillers ensure rapid and efficient cooling scanners.
Cold Shot Chillers® MRI Chiller Sizes
The most common chiller sizes utilized in medical applications are 7.5 ton, (90,000 BTU/hr) and 5-ton, (60,000 BTU/hr). Alternately, a 12.5 or 15-ton MRI chiller unit can provide enough cooling capacity for multiple medical devices.
Cold Shot MRI Chiller Specifications
For over 40 years, Cold Shot Chillers® has designed and manufactured high-reliability chillers. Here are a few reasons why you can trust our MRI scanner chillers to do the job:
- Highest-grade Materials: Our MRI chillers are built using premium-grade materials for maximum reliability and durability. Every product is quality-assured and offered with a competitive warranty.
- Superior Reliability: Our MRI chiller systems are designed to provide maximum uptime. They have an automatic city water switchover that takes over in the event the main MRI scanner cooling unit fails.
- Eco-friendly: MRI chillers from Cold Shot Chillers® use eco-friendly refrigerants in a closed-loop system. This allows your facility to conserve water, prevent corrosion, and ensure that your medical application is compliant with environmental standards from the EPA.
- Custom-built Designs: Do you need to design a custom MRI chiller? Our team of MRI chiller manufacturers are always up to the task! Whatever your application, engineers can provide custom designs to suit your needs.
- Customer Service that Puts You First: Whether you need technical assistance with one of our products or you wish to request a quote, our customer support channels are open 24/7 to cater to you. We offer same-day quotes, sometimes in as little as 30 minutes!
Get a Quote Today
Please request a custom quote today and learn how Cold Shot Chillers® can help improve your medical process needs.