Plastic Processing Chiller
To determine the size of chiller you’ll need for your plastic process cooling application, follow this formula:
- Calculate the pounds of material per hour being processed.
- Determine how many pounds per hour are required for each ton of cooling capacity on Chart 1.
- Determine if the extruder or any auxiliary equipment will require chill water. If not, go to step #6.
- Size the equipment cooling capacity based on Chart 2 and Chart 3.
- Combine the process and equipment cooling requirements.
- Size your chiller by rounding up to the closest standard unit.
For example, what size chiller is needed for a polypropylene molding operation that incorporates a 6oz. "Shot Size" and a 18 second cycle time with a 3 H.P. hydraulic motor?
- 6oz. / 18sec. = 19.99 oz/min (20.00 oz./min) 20 oz. / min x 60 min. = 1200 oz/hr 1200/16 = 75 lbs. / hr
- Polypropylene requires 1 ton of cooling capacity for every 35 lbs./hr processed 75 lbs. ÷ 35 lbs. = 2.14 tons of cooling
- A hydraulic motor requires 1 ton/HP of cooling capacity
- 3 HP x .1 ton/HP = .3 ton of capacity
- Combine process & auxiliary cooling requirements 2.14 tons + .3 ton = 2.4 tons
- This application will require a 3-ton unit
Click below to download our plastic processing sizing formula:
Click here to Request A Quote
or call us at 1.800.473.9178